Sunday, August 28, 2022

America's Choice by Tad Callister

The thesis of Tad Callister’s America’s Choice is that “God has expressed His will on critical moral issues facing our nation today” and we should choose to follow God’s will (312). Some of the issues addressed in the book include the founding of America, abortion, gay marriage, population decline, judicial philosophy (Originalism v. Living Document), religious liberty, socialism v. capitalism, and family. The author mentions other issues too: he documents the anti-free speech trend on college campuses (241), complains about the lack of respect that many give to the flag and to the national anthem (291-292), complains about “politically correct” rules about what someone can wear on Halloween (301), complains about how the Social Security office is poorly run (244-245), and documents poorly spent tax money (303).  In every single issue covered in the book that I can think of, Tad Callister argues for the position currently associated with “conservative” politics in the U.S.

Sometimes I found his arguments compelling, and in other instances, I found his analysis lacking. My biggest issue with the book, though, was the tone.

In one of the last chapters of the book called Where are the Statesmen of Yesterday, Tad Callister approvingly quotes Benjamin Franklin,

I made it a rule to forbear all direct contradiction to the sentiments of others, and all positive assertion of my own. I even forbid myself … the use of every work or expression in the language that imported a fixed opinion, such as certainly, undoubtedly, etc., and I adopted, instead of them, I conceive, I apprehend, or I imagine a thing to be so or so; or it so appears to me at present. When another asserted something that I thought an error, I denied myself the pleasure of contradicting him abruptly, and of showing immediately some absurdity in his proposition; and in answering I began by observing that in certain cases or circumstances his opinion would be right, but in the present case there appeared or seemed to me some difference, etc. (298).

I really like this quote! The author does not follow this advice. I felt that the author sometimes didn’t understand opposing viewpoints well and engaged in dismissive labeling. Members of the Church typically express (and are encouraged to express) certainty on many issues. I think that this culture of certainty can be an impediment to the kind of intellectual (or at least conversational) humility that Benjamin Franklin articulated. Members of the church do accept key commitments and beliefs, such as belief in God and willingness to follow Jesus Christ, but our certainty about these core ideas sometimes bleeds over into certainty about other, more tangential ideas. I fear that this tendency affects America’s Choice. Because of the author’s consistently certain tone, the line what the author believes to be God’s will and what the author’s argument is not always clear.

The church holds conservative stances on abortion, marriage, and gender issues. But the church is officially politically neutral, and church leaders do not articulate positions on most political issues. I have never heard a church leader articulate a view on Halloween costumes or respect to the flag or most of the issues discussed in America’s Choice. (Interestingly, this is a bit of a change, as it was more common back in the day for church leaders to articulate opinions on political issues).

Among current prominent church leaders, President Dallin Oaks has been most willing to comment on political happenings. While he is known for his conservative commentary, in the recent past, he has struck a more tone that is more moderated and more consistent with Benjamin Franklin’s quote than the author’s. For example, in the last few years, President Oaks has:

  •  Quoted J. Reuben Clark that the Constitution was not “a fully grown document” but rather “we believe it must grow and develop to meet the changing needs of advancing world"
  • Encouraged members to “refrain from judging one another in political matters"
  • Insisted “that political choices and affiliations not be the subject of teachings or advocacy in any . . . Church meetings”
  • Acknowledged the need to change political parties occasionally
  • Told members to “peacefully accept the results of elections” and not to “participate in violence threatened by those disappointed with the outcome”
  • Encouraged members to root out racism
  • Counseled members to “be positive about this nation’s future”
  • Told members that “On contested issues, we should seek to moderate and unify”
  • Encouraged members to love our enemies, including political enemies

I prefer President Oaks’ tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment